Egg trays are rapidly used for whole egg storage and transportation. Here is this article, we intend to explore a complete egg tray making business plan with relevant pieces of information. Egg tray making from the paper pulp is a profitable business. This is an industrial item and the market is B2B (business to business). From the same unit, you can also produce fruit tray for horticulture produce like apples, orange, etc and also egg cartoons or egg boxes. Egg Trays are often called filler trays and usually have 30 pockets i.e., they hold 30 eggs. Eggs are either sold uncovered in the tray or wrapped with plastic film.
The most important outlets for eggs in trays are in the food services industry viz provisional stores, restaurants, hotels, institutions, etc. You can produce tailor made eggs trays according to customer’s specifications. However, you must use the specific mold in the manufacturing process.
You can also produce flat-top, egg carton in attractive colors and designs. Apple Trays of different varieties have been developed with 20, 25, 30, 35, cavities. Trays with different number and size of cavities suiting to the packaging requirements can be manufactured by using a standard set of molds. In conclusion, you can produce another product like biodegradable plant pots.
Why Is Egg Tray Making Profitable?
- Paper pulp is soft material. Pulp molded products viz trays being an integrated structure have suitable rigidity, good flexibility, and stiffness which makes it a suitable package for shockproof performance.
- Pulp molded trays have good air-permeability and hygroscopic ability. This is very important for eggs storage.
- The addition of waterproof additives to the pulp imparts the waterproofing characteristics in the pulp molding products.
- Paper trays have antistatic characteristics. This makes them suitable for packaging of electronic spare parts.
- There is no waste water or other waste substance during the production process of paper pulp product.
- Because the pulp molded products are made of waste paper pulp, it can easily decompose in the natural condition and will not pollute the environment.
- It is very easy for recycling the damaged the pulp molded products.
- Every poultry layer farms are your customer.
- If your locality produces orchard fruits, those farms are also your customer.
- Furthermore, the manufacturing technology is not complex.
- Basic raw materials are the paper waste.
Hence, we can say egg tray making business is profitable for new entrepreneurs. The most important thing is, you can initiate the business as small, medium and large scale basis.
Registration & License For Egg Tray Making Business
To start an egg tray making business, you must obtain different registrations and licenses from Govt. authority. Check your state laws. Here, we have listed some of the basic requirements.
- Business registration with ROC. For a small unit, OPC is recommended. Otherwise, you can form Pvt. Ltd. or LLP Company.
- Obtain Trade License from local authority
- Apply for MSME Udyog AAdhaar online registration. This is optional.
- Apply for VAT registration
- Obtaining an ‘NOC’ from Pollution Control Board is highly recommended.
- Apply for BIS certification. There are no IS standards on pulp molded products. However, Bureau of Indian Standards has specified the following standards for paper and pulp based packaging materials and the test methods given in these specifications could be used for determining the performance parameters of pulp molded packages.
- IS 4006: Part 1 (1985) – Methods of test and pulp based packaging materials
- IS 4006: Part 2 (1985) – Methods of test for paper and pulp based packaging materials
- Additionally, IS 4006: Part 3 (1985) – Methods for test for paper and pulp based packaging materials
- IS 4261 (2001) – Glossary of terms relating to paper and pulp based packaging materials
- IS 4664 (1986) – Pulpboard
- And IS 7028: Part 4 (1987) – Performance tests for complete, filled transport packages, vertical impact dropping test
- IS 15763 (2008) – Packaging – complete, filled transport packages and unit loads – vertical random vibration test.
Egg Tray Making Unit Set Up
With the increasing use and varieties of designs in pulp molded products, production equipment and techniques have also progressively evolved. New techniques for producing smooth surfaces, precise shapes and dimensions have been developed by the introduction of the in-mould thermoforming process. You can establish the unit by two ways. One is semi-automatic and another is fully automatic. You must purchase the right machine according to the investment capacity, desired product quality used raw materials and output quantity. Any wrong selection of the machine can influence the overall profitability of the project.
A semi-automatic manufacturing process of molded pulp products consists of the following sequential stages:
- Pulping – Stock preparation
- Molding – wet end
- Finishing and packaging
Egg Tray Making Machinery
You can also purchase a fully-automatic machine to start this business. This type of machines include:
- The paper pulping system:
The pulping system is mainly comprised of hydra pulpier, pulp pump, multi-function refiner machine, blender, control cabinet, etc. This process is designed to allow the waste paper turned into pulp.
- Forming system:
This is primarily using the aluminum mold to absorb the pulp then molding the egg tray, by the vacuum pump. The blow molding technology is the key
- Drying system:
You can customize the drying machine as single drying line or multi-layer drying line in according to your choice. Potential fuel options are diesel, natural gas, coal and electric. There must be an assistant drying road to recycling the tail gas after measure, the tail temperature is about 130.°C.
- Packing system:
It including the stacking system and the counting system. You can have the automatic stacking and counting machine. It makes convenient for workers to packing the finished products.
A semi-automatic machine price starts from around Rupees 3 Lakh onwards. Automatic machine price starts from Rupees 5 Lakh onwards.
Egg Tray Making Process & Raw Materials
You can use the rotary molding machines for the production of specific products in high volumes. Egg trays, fruit trays, and disposable service trays account for a major share of PMP production. Due to this reason, the rotary molding machines are extensively used globally over for production of these items.
Firstly you must remove the dust and other undesired materials from the waste papers. Then you must cut the waste paper into pieces using a cutting machine. However, you can operate it either manually or electrically. Then you must transfer the cut pieces to a beater. There you need to add water to the beater to set in motion. After storing the pulp for some time, you must add Caustic soda (if needed). Now you can take the pulp to a dilution tank with the help of a pump. Finally, dilution happens with the addition of more water.
Next, the molding operation takes place. The molds are made of wood. A wire gauge mold is fixed at the bottom of the wooden vats. Stir the pulp solution continuously, the bottom of the mold is removed.
The water in the solution passes the mesh and comes out and the fibrous material deposits on the mesh evenly and takes up the shape of an egg tray. You can dry the trays along with the wire mesh. Then remove the wire mesh from the tray. Finally, you can cut the dried trays into desired sizes. As a result, they are ready to go to market.
In an automatic machine, you can perform the entire egg tray making process automatically by one single machine.
You can use any type of waste papers like the newspaper, packaging box as the raw material in an egg tray making business.