As per the rules framed by the India Government, Service Tax registration number is mandatory for any person or entity providing taxable services of over Rs.9 lakh. Service tax registration helps the Service Tax Department identify assesses and track all aspects of service tax compliance. For the assessee, service tax registration is required to deposit service tax, file service tax returns and maintain compliance with service tax regulations.
Service Tax is simply a tax on services. The service tax came into effect in 1994. Actually, it was introduced by the then Finance Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh. All service providers in India, except those in the state of Jammu and Kashmir, require to pay this tax.
The Govt. has increased the current service tax rate from 12.36% to flat 14% on 2015 budget. The new rate of Service Tax @ 14% is applicable from 1st June 2015.
Additionally, you will need to deposit this tax on a monthly or quarterly basis. However, you can pay this either by manually depositing in the bank or by online payment of service tax.
Documents Required For Service Tax Registration Number In India
You must submit a self-attested copy of the following documents for obtaining Service Tax registration number:
- Self-attested copy of the PAN Card of the Proprietor or the legal entity registered.
- Photograph and identity proof of the person filing the application namely PAN Card, Passport, Voter ID Card, Adhar Card, Driving License etc.
- Address proof for the address submitted along with proof of ownership, lease or rent agreement, allotment letter from Government.
- No Objection Certificate from the legal owner.
- Bank Account Details
- Memorandum of Association (For Company) & Articles of Association (For Company)
- List of Directors (For Company) and authorization by the Board of Directors / Partners / Proprietor for the person filing the application.
- Business transaction numbers obtained from other Government departments or agencies such as Customs Registration No. (BIN No), Import Export Code (IEC) number, State Sales Tax Number (VAT), Central Sales Tax Number, Company Index Number (CIN) which have been issued prior to the filing of the service tax registration application.
How To Apply For Service Tax Registration Number
One can file the service tax registration application via ST-1 form and can submit online. At the time of submission, users have to create an account before furnishing the details. Therefore, that account becomes a permanent account for all matters related to service tax. After applying for service tax registration online an assessee is need to take a print of acknowledgment slip, sign and submit the hard copy of the ST-1 form to the commissionerate with whom you are registering yourself within 24 hours. Additionally, you will need to have several documents at the time of filing an application for service tax registration. The list includes the copy of pan card, residence proof, and constitution of the applicant.
As per service tax rules 1994, the superintendent shall after verification of the application either grant the Service Tax Registration Certificate (ST-2) or sent information for non-acceptance of the Registration with 7 working days. For online application Government departmental website is www.aces.gov.in
The department will allot the applicant a 15 character Service Tax Number. And you will need to require to quote on all your invoices. One can choose online option also to get the registration.
Every assessee needs to submit a half yearly return in form ST-3 or ST-3A. However, you must submit it along with the copies of TR-6 challan.
Failure to obtain service tax registration would attract penalty in terms of section 77 of the Finance Act, 1994.