Socks are widely used hosiery items in India. Men, women, kids and even infants use socks for the protection purpose. Sometimes speciality socks are used by athletics and sportsman. Socks are also a protecting apparel in some industry operation for their workers. Socks come with a wide variety of design, pattern, colour and size. Socks of various types and designs can be produced by using cotton yarn, acrylic yarn, polyester yarn, nylon yarn of different counts, quality and shades. There are varieties socks available for ladies like nylon socks, trouser socks, slouch socks, knee-high socks, toe socks etc. Generally, socks are made with two different fibers. One is cotton and another is nylon. Sometime woolen socks are also used to protect the skin from the cold. Socks making is a profitable business in knitted garment industry. Any individual can start this business as medium and large scale basis.
Market potential For Socks Making Business
In recent years with the advent of luxury socks and socks for a specific application, socks have transformed from commodity items to fashion pieces. Owing to the transformation of this traditional item into a luxury product, the growth of the socks market outpaces the overall growth of the apparel industry. Almost 70% of the men use socks every day. Hence, the robust growth of the men’s apparel industry is expected to be the major driver of the socks industry in coming days. Athletic socks are the largest product segment in the socks market. The primary driver for the athletic socks market is its diversified application. Athletic socks are majorly used for sports and gym purposes; however, they can also be used as casual wear with informal footwear.
The growth of the socks market is attributed to the rapid expansion of the retail network in developing economies primarily China, Brazil, and India. Increasing population and disposable income in these regions is expected to further drive the retail sector, which in turn is increasing the demand for socks. Asia-Pacific accounted for the largest market share for socks. Hence, we can conclude, starting a socks making business is a profitable venture for the entrepreneurs.
Socks Making Business Compliance
You must obtain different registration and licenses to start socks making business. It is recommended to check your state’s law. Here, we have listed some of the basic requirements.
- Obtain Trade License from local authority.
- Apply for MSME Udyog Aadhaar registration
- Protect your brand name with Trademark registration
- Apply for VAT registration
- Obtain BSI certification. The Bureau of Indian Standards has specified following Indian standards for knitted socks. Cotton socks– IS 3329:1973 and Nylon socks– IS 5084:1990
- If you want to start export then, apply for IEC Number.
Socks Making Machines & Factory Setup
Choose a factory location that has good infrastructure facility. 62 HP of power is required to run this unit. For interruption-free running of the unit, a gen set is proposed to be installed as a stand-by arrangement. Water is another required utility alike any textile industry.
Some of the basic required machinery are:
- Automatic power socks knitting machine for the production of 3 colour jacquard socks with horizontal stripes plating system colour by colour motif and mesh with colour modes.
- Automatic power socks knitting machine for the production of terry socks with 2 colour motif and horizontal stripes and broad rib elastic top up to 23 steps
- Overlock machine
- Rotor cabinet socks setting machine with built-in boiler and 36 frames
- Garment washing machine
- Dryer tumbler
- Washroom trolleys
- Steam press
Procure fully automatic and computerized socks making machine for quality output. Some of the basic features of automatic socks making machines are
- One main feeder plus five pattern feeders.
- The possibility of 6 colors in one course and 16 colors on one sock.
- Drumless, fully computerized control system
- Exclusive inner cam block system for high speed.
- Stepping motor for elastic yarn and stitch cam control.
- Electro-pneumatic yarn finger and cam control
- Pattern Depth up to 1,500 courses.
- Multiple stop motion sensors in case of error.
- Automatic recycling oil, counter, and reset function.
- To guarantee easy operations, USB faucet adopted for easy to process the data.
- Available in 220/380/440V 3phase 50/60Hz.
- Fully A. C Servo motor adopted.
- Minimized and easy operating function.
- To protect stored program, battery back-up adopted.
- To support continuous knitting and keep the memory of program, Internal UPS adopted.
- To keep track of knitting conditions easily, such as raw materials density, speed, length, measure, graph,etc. Graphic type LCD adopted for easy operation.
- To make the running of stocking toe and heel steadier, the technique of double picker point and double down picker adopted.
- Auto-testing, error sensors, such as broken yarn, broken needle,etc. self-protection system adopted.
Raw Materials For Socks Making Business
Raw materials (Yarn) should be purchased only from reputed manufacturers and should have
excellent fastness properties as the quality of socks largely depends on yarn quality. Some of the basic required raw materials are cotton yarn, acrylic yarn, nylon yarn, elastic yarn, detergent for washing and packaging consumables.
Socks Making Process
Initially, the size and design of the socks to be knitted are decided and accordingly, the machines are selected and set.
After setting the machine with the required design and size, the predetermined colour yarns are loaded on the bobbin stands in the creel assembly of the machine and fed into the knitting elements of the machine.
Socks are knitted in a continuous process and several operations are performed before socks are completed.
Knitting is done in stages beginning with the elastic portion for which elastic yarn is used. The leg portion is knitted followed by heel and foot portion ending up with the toe portion of the socks. The toe portion of socks is closed by stitching on overlock machine.
Then the socks go for washing in socks washing machine containing mild detergent.
After washing, socks are charged into hydroextractor to remove excess water and dried in dryer tumbler.
Visual examination is done to remove any faults and finally ironed to remove wrinkles and also to provide proper shape. Socks are reversed and paired manually by attaching pins at different places and packed in polythene bags.
Now the socks are ready to go for the market. Apart from offline distribution, socks making business can generate revenue from online marketplaces.