In starting a restaurant business in India you will need to register with several different registration and licensing procedure with Government authorities. The food and beverages industry is one of the fastest growing industries in India and restaurant business in India is considered as one of the most profitable retail opportunity. The Indian restaurant market is expected to grow at 15% in future, with organized players expected to grow more rapidly. The fine and casual dining segments are expected to register market growth of more than 18%–20% and 15%–17%, respectively. In starting restaurant business is India, it is important to create concepts that are approachable, fun, even quirky.
Key Growth Drivers In Restaurant Business
- Rising consumerism and affluence: Growth in the affluent and middle classes, backed by the Indian youth with more spending capacity, is driving India’s consumption story, and restaurants are no exception.
- The eating-out experience: Consumers’ preference for eating out is largely driven by their desire for a different experience in terms of service, ambiance, and food.
- Media proliferation and enhanced exposure: Media explosion and the emergence of celebrity shows have increased awareness among the consuming class. Moreover, with rising international travel, people are becoming progressively exposed to different cuisines and culinary styles, and this has given impetus to the experience-seeking behavior of consumers while eating out.
- Evolution of new eating avenues: The evolution of new avenues with the increase in food courts at malls, forecourts, airport and railway lounges, and along highways is driving the growth of the organized QSR and dining segment.
- Increased interest by international and national brands: International and national brands are investing bandwidth and capital to develop the QSR market in India.
Business Plan For Restaurant Business
A comprehensive business plan or customized project report is the must in starting the restaurant business in India. You will need to determine the area, menu, interior, nature of the facility, staffing, and marketing plan. Starting and running a restaurant needs a lot of money. In financial planning, the major aspects are operational costs and fixed costs. It is advisable to keep at least 6 months overhead in hand for the smooth running of day-to-day operational activity.
Legalities & Licenses For Restaurant Business
In starting the restaurant business in India, you will need to obtain necessary licenses and permits from the local organizations responsible for governance. Here are the following licenses that you must procure from Government Authorities:
- Enterprise Registration: You must register your firm with Register Of Companies according to your ownership pattern.
- Trade License: You will need to procure Trade License from local Municipal Authority.
- Health Certificate: You can obtain this permission from local Municipal Heath Department.
- Food Business Operating License: Restaurants need to obtain a Food Business Operator license from the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. You will need to obtain this license from state level licensing authority. The food business operator license comes for 1 year and it is renewable.
- Vat Registration: You must apply to your local Sales Tax Department for Vat Registration Number. Also, you will need to file returns quarterly to Sales Tax department. You can apply for Vat Registration online also.
- Service Tax Registration: According to the latest rule restaurants that are air-conditioned are required to obtain service tax registration if their annual sales will be more than Rs.10 lakhs. Currently, service tax is chargeable at 4.94% in air-conditioned restaurants.
- P Tax: P tax stands for professional tax. You will need to have registration and will need to submit fees once in a year.
- Shops & Establishment License: Registration with shops & establishment act is mandatory in starting a restaurant business in India.
- Labour License: You must apply for labor license from Labour Department.
- Trademark Registration: In starting a restaurant business in India, Trademark registration in beneficial for the entrepreneurs.
It is always advisable to consult with a small business adviser in creating the right business plan and in obtaining necessary permission in starting a restaurant business in India.
Finance For Restaurant Business
As like any business, finance is a critical factor in starting a restaurant business in India. You can arrange finance by two ways. Either from any individual investor or from a bank. Eligibility of getting the bank loan for a restaurant mainly depends on factors such as proposed business model, the experience of the promoter, CIBIL report and collateral security offered. Additionally, you can apply for a collateral free loan under CGTMSE scheme offered by Government of India.
Key Operational Area In Restaurant Business
- Managing demand fluctuations
Optimally managing surges and declines in demand at certain times in the week or day, such as lunch versus dinner, or weekdays versus weekends, is challenging.
- Volume versus value
A high volume of transactions with a low ticket size per transaction places pressure on operating efficiency. This leads to low per staff revenue.
- Staff retention
Restaurants tend to face high staff attrition, at levels of 40%–50%. This can be largely attributed to competitive salary offers. High staff turnover rates place the pressure of training and retention costs on restaurants.
- Corporate overheads
While restaurant operators manage profitability at the store level, high corporate overheads (especially staff costs) put pressure on overall profitability.
Restaurant Business Resources
If you are a serious entrepreneur and want to start the business of your own, you must have some resources. Additionally, you will need to know the operational and marketing aspects of this business. So, you can gather knowledge by reading informative books.
We strongly recommend this book for getting the valuable knowledge for starting the restaurant business.
[easyazon_link identifier=”1508445583″ locale=”IN” tag=”smamedmicbusi-21″]Restaurant Startup: A Practical Guide[/easyazon_link]
[easyazon_image align=”center” height=”160″ identifier=”1508445583″ locale=”IN” src=”http://muvsi.in/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/41B4TpYdLOL.SL160.jpg” tag=”smamedmicbusi-21″ width=”104″]
If you simply wish to get a reality check on the trade, use this book as a primer. If you are a serious entrepreneur looking to realize your restaurant dream, this book will help you develop a roadmap. Additionally, the book covers a wide range of important topics. These are techniques to handle money, marketing, manpower and operational issues. If you want to start a restaurant business of your own, this is a must have book for you.