Do you want to start a jackfruit-based business? Do you want to know what are the value-added products you can produce from jackfruits? Find here 10 jackfruit processing business ideas for your ready reference.
The scientific name of jackfruit is Artocarpus heterophyllus. And it belongs to the Moraceae family. Also, it is one of the largest tree fruits in the world. The tropical countries are the major producers of jackfruits.
Basically, the northern and the southern part of India produce jackfruits. In India, some of the major jackfruits producing states are Kerala, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, and Gujarat.
The primary economic product of jackfruits is the fruit. People consume it both when immature and when mature. However, you can’t keep the sweet pulp of the fruit for a long time because of its highly perishable nature. Hence, every year there a huge post-harvest loss occurs during the peak time.
Currently, the different Govt research centers including CFTRI are trying to standardize the production protocol of value-added products from jackfruits. These are all as per the FSSAI standard. Hence the entrepreneurs can start a small-scale food processing unit to produce value-based products from jackfruits.
Generally, the cost of this type of project is not high. You can start a unit even to produce a single product. However, multi-processing unit ensures better revenue return. Find here a list of 10 most profitable jackfruit-based products that you can make and sell for profits.
List of 10 Jackfruit Related Business Ideas
#1. Canned Jackfruit
Apart from the domestic market, the canned jackfruits have good export potential also. As the raw fruit is the highly perishable item, we can preserve it in sugar syrup for a long duration of time. You will need to use the crisp bulbs of the ripe Jackfruit for canning purpose. Also, you will need raw materials like Sugar, Citric Acid and packing materials like Tin Can etc. for operating the unit.
#2. Fruit Bar
Generally, fruit bars are healthy snacks items that provide a delicious taste also. It is also popular as fruit toffee. So, fruit bars have a wide market throughout the country. You can prepare the fruit bar from jackfruits also. The commercial manufacturing is a highly profitable business. As the raw materials, you will need starch, sugar, color, preservatives, skimmed milk powder, hydrogenated fat, flavor, glucose etc.
#3. Ice Cream
Ice creams in different fruit flavor are getting huge popularity these days. Currently, people of all age group consume ice creams throughout the year. Hence, it is not a seasonal business. And you can prepare ice cream with jack pulp. Initiating this type of unit demands a very small startup investment. From the same unit with using the same machinery and equipment, you can produce other items also.
#4. Jack Chips
Raw jackfruit is the basic raw material for fried jack chips. First of all, cut the raw jackfruits into large pieces. Then, remove the bulbs and seeds by hand. Then cut the raw bulbs into suitable lengthwise pieces. Finally, fry these pieces in coconut oil or refined vegetable oil. Also, you may add salt to the frying pieces to enhance its taste and preservation.
#5. Jackfruit Nectar
“Nectar” typically refers to beverages produced by dilution of fruit pastes or juices with or without the addition of sweeteners. It is a healthy food item even for the children and seniors. in nectar processing, you will need to remove the bulbs from ripe jackfruit. And pass them through a pulping/fruit mill. Then mix with about 10% hot water and pass through a pulper having a fine sieve of 1 mm hole. Now you can use this pulp for preparing nectar.
#6. Jackfruit Peda
Peda is a typical Indian sweet and it is also popular as khoa. Peda is harder and has granular texture in comparison with burfi. Generally, it comes as round. Manufacturing of peda involves blending and kneading of khoa and sugar until a smooth and homogenous product is formed. Here you can add jackfruit pulp to prepare jack peda. The manufacturing process is simple. And it doesn’t demand the huge investment.
#7. Jackfruit Squash
In our country, fruit squash is a popular product in preparing homemade cold drinks like sharbat. You can find a wide number of established brands like Kissan, Druke, Ruhafza, etc. You can prepare jackfruit squash from the juice and pulp. The manufacturing process is simple. You will need to provide good quality moisture and leak-proof packaging.
#8. Jack Seed Flour
The manufacturing of jackfruit seed flour is easy. Also, the technology is readily available for the entrepreneurs. Due to its high carbohydrate content and other nutrients, they can be added to baked products for value addition without affecting the functional and sensory properties of the final product.
For jam preparation, you will need to use fully ripe jackfruits. You can prepare it from boiling fruit pulp with sugar, pectin, and acid. You need to invest a small startup capital for starting a small-scale unit. Basically, jam is an intermediate moisture food and high sugar content increases its caloric value. Due to the sweet taste, people of all age group consume jam frequently.
You will need to use unripe jackfruits for preparing pickles. Apply oil to a knife and peel the jackfruit. Peel the skin. Cut the peeled fruits into 12-18 mm thick slices. Prepare a 5% common salt solution by mixing salt with water, 50 g salt/l. Place the slices in a container and cover with the brine solution. Drain the slices after 24 hours. Finally, grind and mix with spice and vinegar and cook it to make taste.
Jackfruit is a highly fibrous fruit. Also, you can’t keep the ripe fruit fresh for a long duration of time. So, you can’t store them. Therefore, you need to take considerable care in the time of procuring the fresh jackfruits for preparing any type of value-added food products.
Fisher-Price UltraCare Polyproplene Silicone Food Nibbler (Orange)
Rs. 224 in stock
- Inspire self-feeding: self feeding engages baby's interest by storing and feeding fresh and frozen fruits, vegetables, and even medicine. Baby can chew on these at his pace while being fed with minimal supervision
- 2-in-1 Purpose: it is both a fruit holder and teething toy that massages baby's gums, simulating mouth muscle development
- Smart anti-choking design: silicone food nibbler's unique sieve design allows only the tiniest food pieces to go through, preventing choking
- Two sized lsr mesh: ultracare silicone nibbler comes with different sized meshes for 4 months and 6 months babies
- Safety first: bpa-less. Safety lock helps prevent accidental spillage of food. Nipple cap to avoid dust in contact with lsr mesh
Eastern Jackfruit365 Green Jackfruit Flour 200g (Pack of 3)
- Jackfruit365 Green Jackfruit Flour (Atta) Has High Levels Of Soluble Fiber And Much Lower Levels Carbohydrate & Calories Compared To Wheat And Rice.
- An ideal plate should comprise of 25% proteins, 25% of carbohydrates and the remaining 50% vegetables.By adding Jackfruit365 flour / atta to your current meal,increase your vegetable / fruit intake without much effort .
- Neutral In Taste And Can Be Added Easily To Your Favourite Daily Meal - Idli, Dosa, Roti, Aloo Paratha, Etc To Reduce Carbohydrate And Increase Vegetable Intake
- Turn Low Carb Diet To Real Food! Cut Down Your Carbohydrate Intake By Replacing Rice / Wheat With Jackfruit365 Flour / Atta, And Continue To Eat Your Idli ,Rawa Idli, Roti, Porridge, Pancake, Etc Without Guilt And Enjoy With Family.
FESTEL - Skytuch frp 7.3m/24ft Telescopic Pole with Sickle,Fruit Picker
Rs. 2,800 in stock
- *Retractable FRP TELESCOPIC POLE are 250 cm " in shortest & 750 cm " in longest(recommended 610 cm). Red colour marking is given on pole to identify the recommended size. You can extend pole to the position you need and tightened . Weight- 1.95 kg
- ACCESSORIES -
- *SICKLE FOR COCONUT,JACKFRUIT etc .
- *Fruit picker for MANGO,PAPPAYA,GUAVA fruit etc.